City golf debate back on the table

Published: July 7, 2010 

Council Panel to study enterprise fund idea

A proposal to make the city's six publicly owned golf courses financially self-sustaining will be brought back and discussed at a specially called meeting of the city council's services committee.

Councilman Chuck Ellinger, chairman of the services committee, said Tuesday he called the meeting, which will be held at 9 a.m. Aug. 31 in council chambers, to fully explore creating what's called an enterprise fund for operation of the courses.

Council members defeated a similar proposal in June by a 7-6 vote, expressing strong reservations about making such a change.

An enterprise fund would capture all the money generated by the courses, including merchandise and beverage sales, and track all expenses such as utility costs and chemical fees.

Councilman Jay McChord said Tuesday the topic had not been thoroughly discussed by council before they voted last month.

"We need to know what should be factored in when you're looking at an enterprise fund," McChord said. He added that council members need to understand all revenue and expenses at the courses.

Owners of the area's private golf courses have complained that because taxpayers subsidize the city's courses, it is difficult for the private courses to compete.

Reach Beverly Fortune at (859) 231-3251 or 1-800-950-6397, Ext. 3251.

Order Reprint Back to Top

Find a Home

$1,795,000 Lexington
5 bed, 5 full bath, 2 half bath. Located only 8 miles from...

Find a Car

Search New Cars
Ads by Yahoo!