Ex-Woodford coroner's trial postponed

gkocher1@herald-leader.comDecember 8, 2011 

VERSAILLES — The trial of a former Woodford County coroner that was scheduled to start Monday has been postponed until May 29.

Steve Ward has pleaded not guilty to six counts of third-degree sodomy in a case involving a victim who was younger than 17 at the time of the alleged sexual abuse, between 1998 and 2000.

Special Judge William Clouse granted a request for a continuance made earlier this month by special prosecutor Andy Sims, according to court records.

In his request for a continuance, Sims said that one Kentucky State Police detective who investigated the case and who would presumably testify is on medical leave and won't return to duty until early 2012.

Another detective was supposed to go on mandatory state police training the week of the trial, Sims wrote. Finally, a clinical psychologist who treated the alleged victim has moved to Oregon.

The motion for continuance said defense attorney Patrick Nash was agreeable to a continuance.

Ward, 57, was coroner for 20 years but lost his re-election bid last year to Ronald Eugene Owens.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service