Grand jury to review case of Lexington man charged in mother's slaying

jkegley@herald-leader.comFebruary 9, 2012 

A grand jury will review the case of a man charged last week with killing his mother and concealing her body in a Herbie container.

Mark Cave was scheduled to appear in Fayette District Court on Thursday for a preliminary hearing to determine whether there was enough evidence to proceed with the case. However, the case was immediately waived to a grand jury.

Cave, 27, is charged with first-degree murder and tampering with evidence in the slaying of Sharon Cave-Howard. Cave-Howard, 54, had been reported missing in December. Police said Cave admitted to killing his mother.

Cave-Howard's mummified corpse was found Feb. 1 in a trash bin off Fortune Drive. She died from blunt-force trauma to the head, according a news release from the coroner's office.

The coroner's office listed the location, time and date of Cave-Howard's death as unknown.

Police have said Cave-Howard's body could have been in the trash bin for about seven months. Her family apparently had not seen her since June. Relatives took the case to police on Dec. 28, police have said.

Cave has pleaded not guilty to the charges. He was being held in the Fayette County jail.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service