Safety is an important part of fireworks' fun

July 4, 2012 

Fireworks have been prohibited in some Central Kentucky counties because of the dry weather. If you are still able to use them where you live, here are some safety tips:

■ Before you begin, make sure you have: A bucket of water or hose nearby for cooling off spent sparklers, fully extinguishing fireworks, and in case of fire; a clear, flat area away from houses, spectators, leaves and flammable materials; closed-toed shoes and safety glasses for the person igniting the fireworks.

■ Light one firework or sparkler at a time.

■ Only use fireworks and sparklers outdoors.

■ Adults should always be present when lighting or handling fireworks or sparklers.

■ Never hold a lit firework in your hand.

■ Never try to relight fireworks or sparklers that do not ignite. Wait 15 to 20 minutes before approaching them, then soak them with water and throw them away.

■ Animals are often frightened by the sounds of fireworks. Protect them by keeping them indoors, secure and away from the loud, sudden noises.

Source: TNT Fireworks, National Council on Fireworks Safety, American Pyrotechnics Association

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service