Harlan baby probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning

bestep@herald-leader.comOctober 1, 2012 

A 9-month-old girl found dead Friday evening in Harlan County probably died of carbon monoxide poisoning, deputy Coroner James W. Rich said.

The autopsy on Jazmyne Whitehead has not been completed, but the preliminary results point to carbon monoxide poisoning, Rich said Monday.

Jazmyne was at a mobile home near Cumberland whose owner was using a gasoline-powered generator to produce electricity for the home, Rich said.

Fumes from the generator apparently reached a high enough concentration in the living room to kill the baby. It takes a lesser concentration of the deadly gas to overcome a baby, Rich said.

The baby's grandfather, an emergency medical technician, reportedly tried to revive her before police and other emergency workers arrived, without success. She was pronounced dead at the home.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service