Lexington firefighters responded to a house fire at 367 East Short Street about 6:45 p.m. Saturday. The fire started in an attached shed and spread to the back of the house, Major Phil Buettner said.
The fire caused moderate damaged to the back of the house and minor damage inside, Buettner said. The cause of the fire was not immediately determined. Fire investigators were called.
Owner Deborah Taylor was not home when the fire started, next-door neighbor Pathetta Mays said. "I got the kids out of my house," Mays said. "I didn't know if it had started from a gas leak. If it had, we didn't want to be in the house."
Beverly Fortune: (859) 231-3251. Twitter: @BFortune2010.