Fire damages room in Kentucky Tobacco Research and Development Center at UK

tpettit@herald-leader.comJanuary 22, 2013 

Lexington's fire department responded to a fire inside a research building on the University of Kentucky's campus Tuesday night.

The fire started inside a glassware dryer on the second floor of the Kentucky Tobacco Research and Development Center, Major Chuck Bonta said.

Bonta said the fire was caused by materials placed inside the dryer.

The building's sprinkler system contained the fire as firefighters removed the wall around the dryer, Bonta said. No one was inside the building at the time of the fire.

Taylor Pettit: (859) 321-3205

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service