Gas leak causes evacuation at UK graduate student apartments

jwarren@herald-leader.comMarch 19, 2013 

One building at University of Kentucky's Cooperstown apartment complex was evacuated Monday afternoon because of a gas leak, officials said.

About 1:30 p.m., construction workers accidently punctured an old, capped gas line near the apartment complex, UK spokeswoman Kathy Johnson said.

A small gas leak resulted, Johnson said. The gas was quickly turned off, but officials evacuated the building as a precaution, she said.

Cooperstown provides apartments for married and graduate students at UK.

No injuries were reported.

Jim Warren: (859) 231-3255.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service