Larger-than-life human and horse personalities were on display on the Churchill Downs backside Monday as preparations continued for Saturday's 139th Kentucky Derby. Trainers Doug O'Neill, D.Wayne Lukas and Bob Baffert along with jockeys Kevin Krigger, Gary Stephens, Pat Day and Chris McCarron talked to or about horses. While hopefuls Will Take Charge, Power Broker, Falling Sky, Oxbow, Vyjack, Chaming Kitten, Governor Charlie and Frac Daddy got on the track. Photos by Jonathan Palmer
- Related Stories:
- Orb brings Kentucky Derby back into the sphere of McGaughey and his owners
- Churchill Downs notes: Baffert might be a bystander for this Derby
- Pletcher bringing 5, maybe 6, horses to Kentucky Derby
- For Derby Week, Louisville offers two Dylans
- Pletcher's horses team up in final workout
Copyright 2013 Herald-Leader. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.