Gas leak forces brief classroom evacuation at Meadowthorpe

jwarren@herald-leader.comMay 6, 2013 

Meadowthorpe Elementary Photo by Charles Bertram | Staff

CHARLES BERTRAM | STAFF

About 200 students at Lexington's Meadowthorpe Elementary School were moved from their classrooms into the cafeteria Monday morning after a gas leak was detected.

No one was injured, and the students were back in class within about an hour, Fayette Schools spokeswoman Lisa Deffendall said.

The leak apparently was connected to renovation work at Meadowthorpe, she said.

Someone smelled gas in one hallway about 8:45 a.m., shortly after school opened, officials said. Students were evacuated from about six classrooms in that hallway while firefighters and gas company representatives investigated and made repairs.

The school was calling parents to inform them, Deffendall said.

Jim Warren: (859) 231-3255.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service