Lexington fire official warns residents about panhandler's scam

jkegley@herald-leader.comMay 9, 2013 

A sob story used by a panhandler to solicit donations has caught the attention of the Lexington Division of Fire.

Battalion Chief Joe Best issued a public service announcement Thursday warning residents to be wary of anyone asking for money because their home burned down recently.

In the last few months, firefighters have received reports of a man saying he needed financial help because his house burned down "over off Harrodsburg Road last night."

Those reports are false, according to the statement.

When a home is damaged or destroyed by fire, the occupants are offered food, clothing and shelter by the Red Cross or a similar organization, the announcement said.

"There simply would be no need to begin asking for help a few hours after a home was destroyed or damaged by fire," it said.

The panhandler is not the same man who made headlines earlier this year for faking a mental handicap to solicit donations, Best said.

Josh Kegley: (859) 231-3197. Twitter: @HLpublicsafety.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service