CastlePost Restaurant scheduled to open Friday

gkocher1@herald-leader.comMay 13, 2013 Updated 16 hours ago

  • How to order

    Make reservations by phone at (859) 879-1000 or online at Thecastlepost.com. Guests arrive at CastlePost for cocktails at 6 p.m., and everyone is seated at the same time at 7 p.m.

The CastlePost Restaurant is scheduled to open Friday to the public.

Owner Tom Post said Monday that he wants customers to "have the most fabulous dinner that they would ever have."

Translation: This won't be a beans-and-cornbread kind of place. Some of the menu items include butter poached lobster canneloni, foie gras-stuffed duck breast and lemon curd tart.

Post, a Miami lawyer, opened the CastlePost as a luxury inn in 2008. Until now, the turreted attraction on U.S. 60 between Lexington and Versailles was open only to overnight guests or those attending special events, such as charity fundraisers. Those restrictions were set by the Woodford County Board of Adjustment.

In February, Woodford Fiscal Court took action to open the inn to people other than registered guests. The county government passed amendments to a zoning ordinance that allowed the inn and other landmarks in the county to open restaurants with seating for 75 people.

The menu is "prix fixe," which is a collection of predetermined items presented as a multi-course meal at a set price.

The price is $55 a plate if you choose one selection each from three courses, or $66 a plate if you choose one selection from each of six courses. An 18 percent gratuity is added to all checks.

Post said he wanted to offer a "prix fixe" menu because it's not commonly seen in Central Kentucky.

"We're making it so you can experience that," Post said. "We want to make it a full-range experience."

The restaurant is a way to have the dining staff working on a more regular basis, and it opens the castle to a wider audience. Guests will be invited to explore the first floor of the inn.

For its introduction, the restaurant will be open Thursday through May 25. After that, the restaurant will be open on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays.

The castle's construction was started in 1969 by the original owner, Rex Martin Jr., but it was never finished and sat empty for more than 30 years.

Post, a graduate of Lexington's Lafayette High School who received his bachelor's and law degrees from the University of Kentucky, bought the castle for $1.8 million in 2003. A fire in May 2004 delayed the castle's opening as an inn until 2008.

Since then, it has been used as a place for fundraisers. And now it will be the site of Central Kentucky's newest restaurant.


How to order

Make reservations by calling (859) 879-1000. Guests may arrive at CastlePost for cocktails at 6 p.m., and everyone is seated at 7 p.m.

Greg Kocher: (859) 231-3305. Twitter: @heraldleader.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service