Governor's warrant will get convicted rapist back in Kentucky, police say

tharrison@herald-leader.comJune 4, 2013 

John C. Buckley IV

A convicted rapist who eluded capture for nearly a year will be returned to Kentucky after Gov. Steve Beshear signed a warrant, authorities said Tuesday.

The warrant was signed May 29 and was mailed to Wyoming Monday, where John Buckley was arrested, said Beshear press secretary Kerri Richardson. Police and U.S. marshals captured the 30-year-old former Army Ranger in Laramie, Wyo., about 20 miles north of the Colorado state line on May 15, according to news releases from various law enforcement agencies.

Buckley had been on the run since July 12 when he left a Fayette County courthouse and cut off an ankle bracelet just before a jury convicted him of rape and sodomy.

Maj. Jay Pittman of the Fayette sheriff's office said Buckley can choose to dispute the warrant. Pittman said that Buckley refused to sign a waiver of extradition, which is why the governor had to sign a warrant. Wyoming authorities could not be reached for comment.

Fayette County Sheriff Kathy Witt said her office will be transporting Buckley back to Kentucky, but Witt said they will not release any information on when or how that will happen for safety reasons. The office will announce when Buckley has been returned to jail.

Taylor Harrison: (859) 231-1324. Twitter: @heraldleader

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service