Lexington firefighters rescue a man and his two cats

raretakis@herald-leader.comAugust 1, 2013 

Firefighters worked at 215 East Loudon Avenue in Lexington, where a man and his two cats were rescued, on Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013.

RACHEL ARETAKIS | STAFF

A fire at the base of wooden steps outside an apartment at 215 East Loudon Avenue in Lexington trapped a man Thursday night.

Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz said one side of the building had extensive damage. Nantz said he didn't know the cause of the fire. Fire investigators were on the way.

Two mattresses were under exterior steps of the building, and neighbor Joi Parr said she was told that one of the mattresses had been set on fire.

Firefighters were called at 10:44 p.m.

The apartment's tenant, who declined to give his full name, said he had just walked into the apartment to get a cigarette and a lighter, and "the next thing I know my apartment is full of smoke."

Nantz said the man was hanging out a window on the side of the house when firefighters arrived. They extended ladders and brought the man and his two cats down safely.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service