Top 2015 prospect Kennard visits UK for second time since getting offer

broberts@herald-leader.comAugust 22, 2013 

2015 prospect Luke Kennard

Luke Kennard and his family made another visit to Kentucky on Saturday, the second time the Class of 2015 basketball recruit has been on UK’s campus this month.

Kennard and his parents spent the afternoon helping his sister move in for college, then swung by Lexington for a quick visit with UK Coach John Calipari.

“It was kind of a spur of the moment thing,” Mark Kennard told the Herald-Leader. “We just kind of stopped in. It wasn’t anything big. Not anything too exciting — we just stopped in to say hello and that was basically it.”

Kennard’s father said they spoke with Calipari for about 20 minutes, grabbed some dinner on campus and then headed back to Franklin, Ohio. Kennard also took an unofficial visit to UK on Aug. 1. He is one of six players from the Class of 2015 with a scholarship offer from the Cats.

Other schools that have offered Kennard include Duke, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State and Indiana. Scout.com considers him the No. 18 overall prospect in the Class of 2015.

Recruiting observers have deemed UK the favorite ever since Calipari offered last month. The 6-foot-5 shooting guard has several Kentucky ties. He said he grew up rooting for the Wildcats, his father played basketball at nearby Georgetown College and his grandfather is originally from Paintsville and remains an avid UK fan.

The family has been impressed with what they’ve seen and heard from UK so far.

“Coach Cal — he’s up front and honest,” Mark Kennard said. “He likes Luke as a player, and obviously if Luke was ready to commit Coach Cal is ready for that to happen. And that’d be great. But he’s not using any pressure tactics or anything like that.”

“Kentucky is Kentucky,” the elder Kennard added. “It’s one of the best schools in the nation.”

Luke Kennard is also a highly touted quarterback with a football offer from Louisville. His season starts Aug. 31, and that will leave little time for visits over the next few months. Class of 2015 prospects are allowed to start taking their five official visits in January.

The plan is to start taking those official visits as soon as possible in order to make a college decision by the end of his junior year.

“That’s the plan right now,” Mark Kennard said. “That could change. That could definitely change. But that’s the plan.”

Read more at Next Cats

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service