The Scott County Arts & Cultural Center will hold its annual Celebrate Art & Architecture tour of six historic homes and businesses in downtown Georgetown on Dec. 1.
Houses and businesses on the tour include:
1870s Jailer's Home, 117 North Water Street. The residence became the Jailer's Home in 1892 when the Scott County jail was built. The jail kitchen became the home's kitchen for the jailer's family, where the jailers' wives prepared meals for their families and the inmates for most of the years between 1892 and 1989, when the old Scott County jail closed. It's now the Arts & Cultural Center, where fine art and original crafts by local and regional artists are sold.
1891 Victorian, 237 West Main Street. The home's interior space has been opened, yet still retains its architectural heritage.
135 North Broadway, law offices of DWC and Associates. It's decorated with craftsman furniture and quilts. The commercial building dates to 1933.
Presbyterian Church, 317 East Main Street. Extensive restoration has just been completed on the red-brick Gothic meeting house that was dedicated in June of 1870.
531 East Main Street. William Henry Moody, a saddler, built the western three bays of this Greek Revival house around 1848. Abner H. Sinclair, who was elected Georgetown's first Republican mayor in 1898, added two bays to the east side of the house in the early 1880s. Owners Charles and Patricia Ewing restored the house in the early 2000s.
132 Military Street. The Victorian cottage was built in 1879 by Robert Soper, a dry goods merchant. The original section of the white-frame house includes parlor, dining room, and early kitchen.
IF YOU GO
Scott County Arts & Cultural Center's Celebrate Art & Architecture in Georgetown.
Hours: 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 1.
Tickets: $10 at the Arts & Cultural Center, 117 North Water Street; Heirlooms & Gretchen's, 136 West Main Street; Georgetown Antique Mall, 124 West Main Street; Hockensmith's Photographics and Fine Art Editions Gallery & Press, 146 East Main Street; and Country Peddler Shoppe, 128 East Main Street.
Call: (502) 570-8366