Controversial DJ won't appear at New Year's Eve event

kward1@herald-leader.comDecember 9, 2013 

Controversial disc jockey Hunter Moore will not make a New Year's Eve appearance in Lexington.

Moore, who formerly ran a "revenge porn" website on which people could post nude photographs of other people without their consent, had been scheduled to be a DJ at a party Dec. 31 at Art Bar, 815 Euclid Avenue.

A Facebook page opposing the event was created, and some people said they would boycott the business.

Late Monday, Art Bar posted a statement on its Facebook page saying in part, "Art Bar apologizes to anyone who was offended by the booking of Hunter Moore by the event promotions company who booked our venue for NYE."

The bar said it had "reached an agreement" and that its rental contract now excludes Moore.

Art Bar also said it would not permit Moore to appear at any future events and is "taking steps to regulate the booking of future performers brought in by the event promotion companies who book our venue.

"Art Bar has the utmost respect for the community and their opinions and appreciates all input/suggestions that help us improve our business."

Moore had posted on Twitter earlier Monday evening, saying he was not coming to Lexington.

"I cancelled all my small-town shows," Moore said in one post.

A Facebook page opposing Moore's appearance was created Thursday. By Monday night, the page, "No More Moore in Lexington," had more than 2,100 "likes."

No More Moore in Lexington said in a news release that it has asked its Facebook followers "to reconsider their negative reviews of Art Bar in light of the recent developments."

"I am so proud of Art Bar and (promotions company) A-Team Social for making the right decision today," campaign supporter Alli Sehon said in the news release. "They listened to what community members said, and have made assurances that they will not make the same mistake in the future. I hope other business in Lexington will follow their lead."

Moore founded the website IsAnyoneUp.com. The site, which was shut down after Moore sold it to an anti-bullying website last year, allowed people to submit photos of others in compromising positions without their permission.

Critics called it a "revenge porn" site, referring to the phenomenon of people sharing intimate photos and videos of former lovers online to humiliate them.

Rolling Stone magazine said in an October 2012 article that Moore verified that people in the images were 18 or older, then posted the photographs along with information identifying the person.

Karla Ward: (859) 231-3314. Twitter: @HLpublicsafety.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service