Three apartments were heavily damaged by water after a kitchen fire at an apartment complex on Red Mile Road on Saturday night.
Lexington Fire Department Battalion Chief Joe Best said firefighters were called to the Red Mile Village apartments at 1035 Red Mile Road because of a small fire on a stove at 5:50 p.m.
While the apartment where the fire occurred was not seriously damaged, Best said the sprinkler system came on, causing water damage to three apartments below it. WKYT-TV reported that 16 students were displaced.
Karla Ward: (859) 231-3314. Twitter: @HLpublicsafety