Man charged in Lexington shooting wanted by federal immigration enforcement

jwarren@herald-leader.comApril 14, 2014 

Gustavo Hernandez

A 20-year-old man pleaded not guilty Monday in Fayette District Court to charges stemming from a shooting in Lexington over the weekend.

Gustavo Hernandez is charged with first-degree assault and tampering with evidence in the shooting, which occurred late Saturday night on Village Drive. Hernandez's attorney waived arraignment Monday in district court and entered a not guilty plea on his behalf.

Hernandez is scheduled to return to court April 28.

Police arrested Hernandez on Sunday in connection with the shooting, which occurred about 10:45 p.m. Saturday in the parking lot of the Village Drive Plaza.

Police spokeswoman Sherelle Roberts said Monday that officers went to the scene and found a man who apparently had been wounded once in the leg and once in the shoulder.

Based on reports from witnesses, officers began searching for two men seen running from the scene, according to Roberts.

They later detained two men for questioning, but Hernandez was the only one charged, she said.

Meanwhile, Hernandez apparently also is wanted by federal immigration authorities.

Officials at the Fayette County jail confirmed Monday morning that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has placed a hold on Hernandez, meaning he is not to be released. He remained in custody at the jail Monday.

The wounded man's name has not been released.

Jim Warren: (859) 231-3255.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service