Five now face charges in Morehead shooting

jwarren@herald-leader.comJune 26, 2014 

Five people are now facing charges in the fatal shooting of a Rowan County man over the weekend, Kentucky State Police said.

The fifth suspect, Anthony "Rell" Paysen, 19, was apprehended in the Hodgenville area, where he is from, Kentucky State Police at Morehead said Thursday morning.

Troopers previously had obtained a warrant charging Paysen with murder.

Two other suspects in the case, Marcus Stewart, 19, and Demario Powell, 18, pleaded not guilty to murder charges Wednesday in Rowan District Court, the court clerk's office said.

Two additional suspects, Julius "Jubee" Kolowitz, 20, and Jaque Abrams, 19, both of Elizabethtown, were scheduled for arraignment on murder charges in Rowan District Court Thursday afternoon, the court clerk's office said.

All five men are charged in the shooting death of Bot Otis, 20, who was found with a gunshot wound to the head Sunday afternoon at a residence in Morehead. Authorities said officers were dispatched to the scene after police received a report of a possible home invasion.

Otis was later airlifted to the University of Kentucky Chandler Hospital, where he died Monday.

Stewart and Powell were arrested Tuesday, according to the Morehead KSP post. Abrams was arrested Wednesday and Kolowitz turned himself, troopers said.

An investigation into the shooting is continuing.

Anyone with information in the case is asked to contact the Morehead KSP post at (606) 784-4127.

Jim Warren (859) 231-3255.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service