Lexington police receive 105 complaints about Fourth of July fireworks

ngray@herald-leader.comJuly 7, 2014 

Lexington police received 105 complaints about Fourth of July fireworks from 8 a.m. Friday to 8 a.m. Saturday. No citations were issued and no one was arrested, according to the city.

Of the complaints, 80 percent were made from 9 to 11 p.m. July 4, said Brenna Angel, a spokeswoman for Lexington Mayor Jim Gray.

This number of complaints is a stark decline from the 608 in 2012 during the same time period. Twenty-one citations were issued and one arrest was made. The high number of complaints led the city to revise its fireworks ordinance in September 2012 to allow only small, hand-held fireworks to be set off in Fayette County.

State law allows fireworks to be sold, but it also allows counties to regulate them, which the Urban County Council did. Fireworks that are allowed in Lexington include sparklers and smoke bombs.

"It's a fraction of what we've seen previously," Lexington police spokeswoman Sherelle Roberts said of the number of complaints this year, "and we're really happy that people are following the law. I think what we've seen is people know the law now, and aren't buying" fireworks that are illegal.

Lexington police did not have complaint numbers from 2013 available.

Nick Gray: (859) 231-1330. Twitter: @ngray_63.

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service