Recap: New England vs. Chicago

The Sports NetworkJuly 12, 2014 

Foxborough, MA ( - A third-minute goal from Quincy Amarikwa was enough as the Chicago Fire snapped a six-game winless skid with a 1-0 victory over the New England Revolution at Gillette Stadium on Saturday.

Amarikwa provided the offense and Chicago goalkeeper Sean Johnson preserved the win in the last 10 minutes when he saved a penalty kick from New England's Chris Tierney, handing the Revs their five successive defeat.

Mike Magee's curling pass released Amarikwa in behind the New England defense and he slotted his shot past goalkeeper Bobby Shuttleworth to hand the visitors the early lead.

Shuttleworth kept his side in the match with a nice stop on Harrison Shipp's effort in the 14th minute, while Diego Fagundez carved out a chance for the Revs midway through the first half that was saved by Johnson at the top corner of his net.

Tierney tested Johnson with a powerful free kick that the netminder did well to parry just after the hour mark, denying the Revs the equalizer.

Matthew Fondy had a chance to wrap up the win for the Fire when he got in on goal in a one-on-one situation with Shuttleworth, but he fired a low shot straight at the goalkeeper that was stopped.

That miss looked like it would be costly in the 84th minute when Jerry Bengtson was taken down by the Fire's Gonzalo Segares inside the penalty area.

Tierney stepped to the spot but saw his shot tipped onto the post by Johnson, who pounced on the rebound to save all three points for his side.

Game Notes

Lexington Herald-Leader is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service