I was remarking the other day that I can now do things in the middle of the week and not worry about helping children with homework or getting them to bed on time.
The folks at the Bluegrass Domestic Violence Program must have heard the joy in my voice because they are presenting an entertaining evening of film-watching, wine-drinking and lively discussion next week.
It's the perfect excuse to go out on a Thursday evening.
BDVP, whose mission is to end spousal and partner abuse and its impact on families and communities, is hosting Lunafest, a selection of 10 national and international films that are made by, for and about women. Also, a local film produced by Seersucker Productions in Versailles has been added to the mix.
Never miss a local story.
"We had a great time last year, and I personally found the films to be positive and uplifting with both humor and drama," said Pam Knight, a BDVP volunteer and head of the Lunafest committee. "I've had the privilege of seeing the films for this year, and it's definitely the same feeling. One thing we added to the schedule this year is discussion time afterward for anyone who wants to stay after the films and share their thoughts."
And there should be plenty to discuss.
This year, one of the films, Monday Before Thanksgiving, features Hollywood veterans. It's directed by actress Courteney Cox and stars Laura Dern as a single woman who loves her full life but begins to have doubts a year after her mother's death and after visiting her best friend's psychic.
Another short film, Plastic, directed by Australian Sandy Widyanata, was created as a graduation project. It won the Visual Effects Society Award for students earlier this year. It's the story of Anna, an overweight woman who, with a half hour to get ready for a date, discovers she can mold her body like plastic.
The 10 Lunafest films run between one minute and 19 minutes in length.
Again & Again, the film produced in Versailles, focuses on the cycle of abusive relationships and runs five minutes long.
Lunafest, established by Luna, the makers of nutritional bars, began in 2000 as a way for women filmmakers to become better known and as means for local organizations that help women to raise money. The collection of films will travel to more than 140 sites nationwide. Each local agency that sponsors a showing earns 85 percent of the proceeds. The other 15 percent goes to the Breast Cancer Fund, a San Francisco non-profit that focuses on eliminating environmental causes of that disease.
"This is a perfect blending of arts and activism," said Diane Fleet, BDVP assistant director. "It's a beautiful way to interact with like-minded men and women and have a good conversation about women's lives."
Fleet said the money raised will fund BDVP's 24-hour Crisis Hotline at (800) 544-2022, as well as emergency shelter programs, crisis intervention, financial literacy programs, child and adult support programs, court advocacy and housing.
The films featured this year are:
■ A Summer Rain, by Ela Thier, New York.
■ Plastic, Sandy Widyanata, Australia;
■ Roz (and Joshua), Charlene Music, California;
■ Monday Before Thanksgiving, Courteney Cox, California
■ DIY: Emancipation 101, Lyn Robinson, New Hampshire;
■ Kinda Suntra, Jessica Yu, California;
■ A Vida Politica, Kat Mansoor, England;
■ Anjali, Maya Anand, New York;
■ Omelette, Nadejda Koseva, Bulgaria;
■ The McCombie Way, Kristina and Nick Higgins, California;
■ Again & Again, Kristina Dahl and George Maranville, Kentucky.
Enjoy a night out in the middle of the week.