Despite numerous accusations of sexual assault and a number of canceled performances across North America, embattled comedian Bill Cosby is still scheduled to perform at the University of Kentucky's Singletary Center for the Arts March 15.
Ticket sales, however, have stalled since November, as an ever-increasing number of women have gone public with allegations of sexual assault by the iconic performer.
"There has been no real movement since the scandal broke," said Singletary director Michael Grice. Cosby is described on the Singletary website as "one of America's most beloved comedians of all time" and "a national treasure with the unique ability to touch people's hearts!"
Grice said about 700 tickets have been sold for Cosby's March 15 show in the 1,502-seat Lexington venue. Tickets for the show are $55 to $85.
Never miss a local story.
Grice said last week he has not received an calls or emails from people protesting the performance. He said Singletary is bound to honor the contract with the promoter or face legal consequences.
In November, writer and director Judd Apatow launched a Twitter campaign to shame venues that still had Cosby dates on their calendars, though the Singletary Center was not among his targets.
Dec. 26, he tweeted, "so @Centre_Square - are you really going to let Bill Cosby perform on your stage January 7?" referring to the Kitchener, Ont., Canada venue where Cosby did give his first performance since the new round of allegations surfaced.
The BBC reported Cosby received a standing ovation at the performance, Wednesday, and that about a dozen people protested outside holding signs with slogans such as "Rape is No Joke".
On Friday night in Hamilton, Ontario, during the third and final performance of Cosby's Canadian tour, hecklers stood and chanted "we believe the women" before marching out of the theater, the Associated Press reported.
According to The Wrap, a website covering Hollywood, 11 venues in North America have canceled Cosby's performances since new allegations began to surface. There were 77 dates in the Bill Cosby 77 tour, which began in 2014 and coincides with Cosby's 77th birthday.
Carlos Larraz, head of National Artists Corporation, which is promoting Cosby's show in Lexington, said there are no plans to cancel the Singletary show. He also said he has not received complaints or concerns about the performance, Cosby's only scheduled show in Kentucky.
Larraz said National Artists is not the only promoter of the Cosby 77 tour but declined to say how many of the shows are being promoted by his company. He also declined to say whether other shows promoted by his company have been cancelled. He said a decision about whether Cosby and the venue will need increased security during the show will be made closer to the performance date.
More than two dozen women have come forward to accuse Cosby of either drugging them or spiking their drinks and sexually assaulting them over the last 40 years. Most of the women say they were invited by Cosby to attend one of his comedy shows or a taping of his television show. Many others looked at him as a mentor or ally in their show business careers. At least two of the women claim to have been sexually assaulted by Cosby when they were minors. Among the accusers are supermodels Beverly Johnson and Janice Dickinson.
Cosby has not commented on the allegations. His lawyers have vigorously denied the claims of assault by the women denouncing them as decades-old fabrications. Cosby has not been charged with any crime in connection with the allegations. In 2006, he did settle a civil lawsuit in which he faced similar allegations for an undisclosed amount.