Blue Sushi Sake Grill, 105 Summit at Fritz Farm, is scheduled to open in mid-July at The Summit at Fritz Farm. It will offer fresh seafood in inventive flavor combinations, many available as shared plates.
In addition to sushi, Asian-inspired dishes on the menu at Blue include River Rock beef tenderloin, tender beef served on sizzling hot rocks with jalapeño ponzu and yuzu kosho, and kaiso, a salad with red and green tosaka seaweed in sesame dressing served with yam noodles, cucumber sunomono and dashi, with the option of adding grilled tako or snow crab.
Happy hour is 3 to 6:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 8 p.m. Sunday. There will be sushi lunch specials11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. There will be half-price premium cold sake bottles on Tuesday; four crunchy rolls for $5.50 on Thursday. Watch for more information about an opening date.
▪ Distilled Restaurant & Bourbon Bar, 102 West Second Street, has daily specials including fresh oysters on the half-shell paired with champagne every Monday starting at 5:30 p.m.; Bordeaux and burgers on Tuesdays, with music from Ben Lacy; half-price wines by the bottle on Wednesdays; and brunch on Sundays featuring a seasonal menu, $5 bloody Marys and $4 mimosas. Reservations are recommended; call 859-255-0002.
Never miss a local story.
▪ A Cup of Common Wealth, 105 Eastern Avenue, plans to celebrate its fourth anniversary Saturday with free breakfast until it runs out, beginning at 9 a.m. Then, from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m., a street fair on Eastern will have food trucks including Whoo Wants Waffles, Sav’s Chill and Gastro Gnomes, with family activities.
▪ Smack’N Spuds, 2901 Richmond Road, is set to open Saturday, with grand opening deals all weekend. The first 100 customers will receive one free spud each month for a year. The restaurant features gourmet baked potato entrees, and it offers delivery. Its hours are 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Call 859-469-8122.
▪ The Village Idiot, 307 West Short Street, will celebrate the addition of a 30-foot mural of Man o’ War on Thursday with an unveiling party at 4 p.m. There will be food and drink specials, and the Kentucky Horse Park will provide free tickets as door prizes. The Agustin Zarate mural, commissioned by LexArts and sponsored by Mt. Brilliant Farm, is in honor of the park’s Man o’War exhibit.
A commemorative beer crafted by Alltech, called “The Mostest Wheat Ale” after Man o’ War’s nickname as “the mostest horse,” will be released at the party. The beer will be available on tap this summer at various places in Lexington.
▪ In celebration of its newly clean, artificial ingredient-free menu, Fazoli’s is launching a “Naturally Italian” sweepstakes, and the grand prize is a free trip to Italy. Runner-up prizes include free Fazoli’s spaghetti for a year. You can register at
As part of its “Naturally Italian” initiative, Fazoli’s worked closely with nearly 50 suppliers to guarantee that a total of 81 artificial ingredients, colors and preservatives were eliminated from its food.
▪ Nashville-based Hunt Brothers Pizza has brought back summer fan-favorite specialty pizza flavor chicken bacon ranch, loaded with all-natural chicken breast meat. The limited-time pizza is topped with a creamy ranch sauce, a blend of 100 percent mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, and crisp bacon.
“Our limited-time offers are designed to give our store partners a boost in sales,” said Dee Cleveland, director of marketing for Hunt Brothers Pizza.