Lexington firefighters put out a small fire at Tates Creek Presbyterian Church around 4:30 p.m. Friday.
The church is at Rapid Run Road and Man o' War Boulevard.
The fire started in a classroom on the ground floor and did not spread, said Chuck Workman, a deacon at the church.
According to Workman, who had reviewed the fire investigator's report, the fire started when an electrical outlet overheated and caused a pencil sharpener to catch fire. The sharpener burned through a bookshelf and landed near a wastebasket, lighting the basket's contents on fire.
Never miss a local story.
About 15 students were in the building for a Trinity Christian Academy after-school program. No children were in the area where the fire started, Workman said.