This week our nation and world were shook once again, with a terrible tragedy of Continental's flight 3407, operated by Colgan Air. I, and the people of St. Mark offer our deepest condolences, sympathy and support of the families, friends and acquaintances of Continental flight 3407.
For those of us who fly regularly, and I count myself as an avid flyer AND Continental is my airline of choice within the USA, there is definitely a community found within a larger community, so to speak. Anytime something of this magnitude occurs, my mind goes to the many people I know who travel as much as I and even more. My heart calls out with a prayer and a quiet sense of trust, that regardless of where my fellow travelers may be; they are a peace regardless of the circumstances.
Once again, we are reminded, whether we wish to be reminded or not, that our time on earth is truly limited. We are reminded to value those relationships and friendships of which we are blessed and to try our best to live good and decent lives.
Though we have heard about the lives of the pilots, flight attendants, 911 Widow and leader of rights for the people of Riwanda, what about the other 35 or so; they also, though maybe not as well known, were just as valuable to our world: moms, dads, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, friends and close associates; they too have left an immense void in our lives.
Each of us, regardless of our faith denominations, can truly take into account the words that have been attributed to St. Francis of Assisi:
- Lord, make me an instrument of Thy peace;
- where there is hatred, let me sow love;
- where there is injury, pardon;
- where there is doubt, faith;
- where there is despair, hope;
- where there is darkness, light;
- and where there is sadness, joy.
- O Divine Master,
- grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
- to be understood, as to understand;
- to be loved, as to love;
- for it is in giving that we receive,
- it is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
- and it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life.
ETERNAL REST GRANT UPON THEM O LORD AND LET PERPETUAL LIGHT SHINE UPON THEM. MAY THEM AND ALL THE SOULS OF THE FAITHFULLY DEPARTED REST IN PEACE. AMEN.