I know…there’s a kiss theme to my blogs this week. Valentine’s Day is fast approaching and I feel duty bound to spread a little love to you. These treats are delightful. Make a batch tonight before you go to bed and you'll be able to dole them out as Cupid's apprentice tomorrow. The chocolate softens and marries nicely with the crisp meringue. Warning: these are addictive, sorta like their namesake. Since you are what you eat, you may be able to better adopt my former advice -- “Kiss” -- (Michaela, I don’t mean you!), if you eat one of these first:
2 egg whites, room temperature
Never miss a local story.
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/8 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
36 Hershey’s Kisses
1. Preheat oven to 375°
2. Beat the egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt until stiff.
3. Slowly add sugar and then vanilla, beating constantly, until whites are glossy.
4. Place ½ tsp. of meringue on large, well greased cookie sheet.
5. Top each bit of meringue with a Hershey’s Kiss.
6. Cover each Kiss with a small tsp. of meringue.
7. Place in 375° oven and immediately turn off the oven.
8. Let the French Kisses remain overnight in the closed oven until completely dry. Do not open the oven door!