Today's cookie will delight coconut lovers. The cookies are chewy with crispy edges where the coconut browns; surprisingly they are not overly sweet. You may drizzle the cookies with chocolate, if desired.
Macaroons (makes 2 dozen)
(1) 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
Never miss a local story.
(1) 14 oz package shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 egg whites, room temperature
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1. Mix milk with extracts.
2. Add coconut to milk and blend well.
3. Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
4. GENTLY fold egg whites into coconut mix.
5. Refrigerate coconut mix for 15-30 minutes.
6. Use an ice cream scooper to place chilled coconut mix onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper sprayed with cooking spray.
7. Bake cookies for 25 minutes in oven preheated to 325 degrees.
8. Cool on wire racks. Store in tins, separating each layer with wax paper.