This bar cookie features an old fashioned taste...Gingerbread. With a new twist...Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting. The two flavors work together elegantly.
Gingerbread Squares with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (35 squares)
Ingredients for Gingerbread:
1 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup molasses
3 T milk
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Directions for Gingerbread:
1. Mix together first five ingredients.
2. Beat butter until creamy.
3. Beat in sugars gradually.
4. Beat in egg.
5. Add flour mixture gradually and blend with a spatula then beat with mixer (this avoids a flour cloud).
6. Beat in molasses and milk until blended.
7. Spread batter in a greased 9 x 13 pan.
8. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Cool. Spread with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosing. Cut into bars.
Ingredients for Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
6 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T butter, softened
1/3 cup lemon curd
2 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Directions for Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. Beat cream cheese and butter till fluffy.
2. Beat in lemon curd.
3. Add powdered sugar with a spatula then beat with mixer until smooth.