I love dates. This recipe features a luscious filling of creamy, sweet dates swirled inside a pastry wheel.
Date Pinwheels (makes 2 1/2 dozen)
10 oz Medjool dates, chopped
Never miss a local story.
3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/2 cup water
1/4 tsp salt, divided
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1. Stir together dates, 1/4 cup sugar, water and 1/8 tsp salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes.
2. Cream 1/2 cup sugar, butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Slowly incorporate 1/8 tsp salt, flour and soda until well mixed. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
3. Turn dough onto floured wax paper and roll to 18x12. Spread date mixture to within 1/2" of outer edges.
4. Beginning at long side, roll up like a jelly roll. Wrap in wax paper and refrigerate 1 hour.
5. Cut into 1/4" slices with a serrated bread knife. Place on greased cookie sheets about 2" apart.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes in 375 degree oven, until lightly browned. Let cool on pan for 3 minutes before transferring to wire racks.
7. Store in tins separated by wax paper.