Nearly 150 pairs of sneakers, from an 1860s spiked running shoe to flashy limited-edition releases from modern designers, will be displayed at ‘Out of the Box: The Rise of Sneaker Culture,’ opening Saturday at the Speed Art Museum in Louisville.
The exhibit, on view through Nov. 27, includes contributions from Beastie Boys member Adam “Ad-Rock” Horovitz, designers Jeremy Scott and Christian Louboutin, the NBA’s Walt “Clyde” Frazier and others.
Special events include Kickin’ It at the Speed, 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 13. Local sneakerheads will showcase their collections in a sneaker fashion show. Transform your own shoes at a funkifying sneaker bar. Admission is $15, $5 for students.
Never miss a local story.
More shopping news
▪ The Pomegranate Inc. warehouse is moving to 527 Lagonda Avenue off Delaware Avenue.
Before the big move, there will be one more warehouse sale at the current warehouse, at 951 Floyd Drive. Save as much as 90 percent on tabletop and kitchen accessories, apparel and more. Hours for the sale are 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Thursday and Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday. In November, the annual holiday warehouse sale will be at the new warehouse, with dates to come. Pomegranateinc.com.
▪ Peacocks and Pearls will open Friday at 200 Lexington Green Circle in The Plaza at Lexington Green. The boutique offers women’s clothing and accessories. Other businesses at The Plaza include Sola Salon Studios and Mellow Mushroom. Facebook.com/peacocksandpearlslex.
▪ The Athens Schoolhouse Antiques Show is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Athens Schoolhouse, 6270 Athens Walnut Hill Pike. Admission is $2. 859-255-7309. Antiqueskentucky.com.
It’s the season for fall art and craft fairs, starting with several events this weekend.
▪ The Waveland Art Fair is 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday at the Waveland State Historic Site, 225 Waveland Museum Lane. Admission is $5 for adults, free for ages 11 and younger. There will be Kentucky food and wine vendors, and children’s activities. Parks.ky.gov.
▪ The Mellwood Art Fair is 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the Mellwood Art Center in Louisville. More than 100 artists will show and sell their work at indoor and outdoor spaces, live entertainment, a children’s art activity tent, and food and drink vendors. Admission and parking are free. Mellwoodartcenter.com.
▪ The Dixie Soul Fancy Flea outdoor market will be 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday on Main Street in La Grange. The event will feature vintage and antique items, and handmade art. There will be local food vendors and live music. Facebook.com/dixiesoulfancyflea.