`Lucky’s Market, which bills itself as a less expensive organic grocery, will open at 1030 South Broadway near the University of Kentucky campus, on Jan. 27, the company announced.
The Lexington store will be the 16th store nationwide for Colorado-based Lucky’s Market, which also has a store in Louisville. It will feature in-house cured and smoked bacon, a large selection of fresh, local produce, fresh seafood, a bakery, a department with ready-to-eat meals, a juice bar and a beer, wine and spirits selection. The Lexington store, which is about 47,000 square feet, will employ approximately 150 people.
▪ Smithtown Seafood, 501 West Sixth Street, will have a Feast of the Seven Fishes Beer Dinner on Dec. 17. The feast combines the cuisine of chef Jonathan Sanning with beer from West Sixth Brewing Co. This Italian-American celebration of Christmas Eve highlights the holiday season with a meal of seven seafoods. The six-course meal, with seven types of seafood, will be served in the West Sixth Barrel Room from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Price is $55, including food and beer. Reservations required Eventbrite online.
Menu includes smoked salmon rillette, paired with Lemongrass American Wheat; braised octopus paired with Sixfold I - Wild Pale Ale; pistachio-crusted sea scallop, paired with Observance Abbey Dubbel; lobster fra diavolo, paired with Heller Heaven Double IPA; cioppino, paired with Transylvania Tripel; and gelato with bourbon-ginger snap crumble, paired with Jefferson County Brandy Xmas.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Athenian Grill, 313 South Ashland Avenue and 115 North Locust Hill Drive, has Greek Christmas cookies and desserts, including melonakarona (Greek honey walnut cookies,) kourabiedes (Greek wedding cookies,) raspberry or peach filled butter cookies, baklava and Greek walnut cake (karidopita.) Desserts also available at Kroger on Euclid and in Versailles.
And Dec. 18-20, Athenian Grill on North Locust Hill will feature traditional lamb dishes, including roasted leg of lamb, grilled lamb chops, Athenian lamb stew and grilled lamb kebabs and ground lamb politika kebabs. Open from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 10:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sunday. Call 859-351-1605.
▪ Windy Corner Market, 4595 Bryan Station Road, has locally harvested hickory nuts for sale for about $14 for a 8 ounces, enough to make a pie or two. Or, buy one ready-made from Rick’s White Light Diner, 114 Bridge Street in Frankfort, for about $25. Call 502-330-4262.
And next week, I’ll have feature hickory nuts in holiday recipes in Wednesday’s Food section.
▪ Bour-Bon, 616 Main Street in Paris, bring back The Spirit of Mistletoe, a Christmas play written by Joseph Clay, on Dec. 18, 19, 22 and 23. Show starts at 8 p.m.; dinner from food trucks is available this weekend. Han Cook In will be on-site on Friday; Rolling Oven will be there Saturday. Food priced separately. Show is $20 for adults, including one glass of wine or beer; students $10 and children 10 and under free. On Dec. 22 and 23, dinner is included; tickets for that weekend are $50 per person. Call 859-987-1662.
▪ The Grey Goose, 170 Jefferson Street in Lexington and 133 East Main Street in Midway will be open from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve and will open at 6 p.m. on Christmas Day. Call 859-233-1500 in Lexington or 859-846-9933 in Midway.
▪ The Upstart Crow, 101 West Short Street, is serving lunch and dinner Monday through Saturday. The upstairs dining and meeting room is available for dining, holiday events and business luncheons. For reservations, call 859-523-7146. Gift cards available.
▪ Jim Beam American Stillhouse, 526 Happy Hollow Road, is projecting a 3-D holiday light show onto the side of the historic Rackhouse D in Clermont. The nine-story building will show a two-minute animation highlighting 220 years of Jim Beam tradition. The free event will show from 5:30 to 7 p.m. Dec. 18, 19, 21, 22 and 23. Winter festivities, including live ice sculpting, carolers and fresh-pressed apple cider, begin at 5 p.m. Whiskey samples available for guests of legal age. Guided tour tickets can be purchased at AmericanStillhouse.com.