Rather than dieting to get yourself into a smaller sized bathing suit this season, how about dieting
— financially — to decrease your debt?
You can work toward achieving financial success by following these 10 tips for the next three months .
1. Defeat the heat. Cut your electricity bill, which tends to rise during the summer months, by signing up for Kentucky Utilities Demand Conservation program. Receive $5 per month (up to $20 annually) in June, July, August and September. The device gets connected to your home’s central air conditioner or heat pump. Call 1-800-356-5467.
Never miss a local story.
2. Save money at the pumps. Walmart customers using a Walmart gift card will receive a 10-cent per gallon discount or customers who use a Walmart MoneyCard or Walmart Credit Card will save 15 cents per gallon . Spend $50 or more at Kmart stores and at checkout receive a coupon for 30 cents off a gallon. Redeem it at your local Speedway or BP gas station. Also, load the fuel digital coupon on your Kroger card and get two times your qualifying fuel points on purchases every Friday, Saturday and Sunday until June 30.
3. Keep your kids happy for free. Check out the Lexington Parks and Recreation website for events . Get your picnic gear out and go watch Friday Night Flicks at Jacobson Park starting at 7 p.m.
4. Sell your stuff. Summer is yard-sale season, so unload all of your clutter. Get the family together for a cleanup session. Choose a date and put up fliers. Use bright colors and give good directions. Put an ad in the classifieds .
5. Sign up for reward clubs at local restaurants. For example, Red Robin offers a royalty card that gives you a free burger on your birthday; $20 toward your sixth visit and every 10th item free. Join TGI Friday’s Give Me More Stripes program to get a free appetizer or dessert when you join .
6. Live and learn at the library. It’s air conditioned and offers many summer programs for free. Check out DVDs, CDs, games and puzzles, too.
7. Be proactive with your spending habits. Deal of the day is offered by many big name stores. Have the daily specials sent to your email. Check out the daily deals at Home Depot, Walmart, Best Buy, CVS, Target and deal of the week at Yankee Candle.
8. Check out discounted entertainment. Purchase Oz The Great and Powerful on Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy Combo Pack and get a free admission to see Disney’s The Lone Ranger in theaters. Become a Movie Tavern Member to receive free popcorn and a free movie ticket on your birthday and get invited to special screenings or events. Today get a free DVD rental at Kroger Redbox Kiosk when you use promotional code KROGERDVD at checkout. Buy a $25 limited edition gift card to Red Robin and receive a code for a ticket to see The Wolverine, opening July 26.
9. Promote giving back . Volunteer at local charities with your family. Or, help your kids set up a lemonade stand with directions on the Country Time Lemonade Facebook. Then register your stand, and Country Time Lemonade will donate $5 to Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation for Childhood Cancer.
10. Use free help. Download for free Dave Ramsey’s Guide to Budgeting. Learn the envelope system and track everything you spend. Seeing a visual budget will make it easier for you to know where your money is going. http://bit.ly/13CGnzD
Father’s Day deals:
› Hooters is giving dads 10 wings on the house with the purchase of 10 wings at any Hooters location across the U.S. on June 16.
› Dads get free admission to Louisville Zoo on June 16 courtesy of Ford Motor Company. Louisvillezoo.org/ events/
› Dads eat free at Beef ‘O’ Brady’s on Father’s Day .