The Garden Club of Frankfort’s 10th annual Living in History home and garden tour includes nine locations throughout the city.
Historic homes and gardens
The Gavin Sewell home, 216 East Campbell Street. Just blocks from the Capital building and part of the South Frankfort Neighborhood Historic District, this Dutch Colonial house dates from 1930. Construction plans and much of the finishing materials for this home were obtained through the Home Builder’s Catalog, one of the readily available sources of mail order plans that helped to popularize several architectural revival styles during this era.
Sower home and garden, 112 Wilkinson St. Frankfort was founded on the low accessible bottoms along a natural bend of the Kentucky River. A parcel of land near the river became the Frankfort Cotton Factory, built there to take advantage of the accessible river waters. Vacated by 1896, the factory was demolished and the land was divided and sold for building lots. Former Frankfort Mayor John R. Sower acquired a parcel known as the cotton mill property and built this brick Victorian home in 1906.
Never miss a local story.
Buchta carriage house, 2 Petticoat Lane. In 1850, a brick townhouse was built on Washington Street, on land once owned by the infamous American traitor, Aaron Burr. The townhouse was constructed in the newly fashionable Greek Revival style and became the home of George Macklin, a prominent local landowner and coal businessman. . Behind the townhouse, facing Petticoat Lane, is a former carriage house and horse stable. Over 165 years after it was built, this carriage house is one of the only remaining structures of its type in downtown Frankfort.
Alice Blanton Cottage, 1001 Wilkinson Blvd. About 1905, JB and his brother Albert Blanton dismantled an old stone cook house behind a main house, built in 1799, and in its place built a two-story brick building that would serve as servant quarters for the family cook and groundskeeper. In 1965, Alice Blanton renovated the property. When Buffalo Trace Distillery purchased the property in 2004, it renovated the building as a guest cottage for visitors to the distillery.
Albert B. Blanton Botanical Garden & Bird Sanctuary, 1001 Wilkinson Blvd. At Buffalo Trace Distillery, the restored gardens, stone steps, and curving paths surround the Albert Blanton residence, built in 1933. Blanton, a descendent of the founder of what is now Buffalo Trace Distillery, loved to garden, and roses and mums were among his favorite plants. The grounds are part of a National Historic Landmark.
Knight-Taylor-Hockensmith House, 4350 Peaks Mill Road. The home of Edmond and Wendy Thompson is a renovated historic farmhouse located about seven miles north of downtown Frankfort on Peaks Mill Road along the scenic Elkhorn Creek. It began as a single room log house, built in 1850. It was expanded in 1882, when a large Victorian style section was added. Further additions were made in the late 1920s. In 2013, the house was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the Thompsons embarked upon a three-year total renovation to save the house.
Geveden condominium, 152 Locust Hill Dr. Pat and Charles Geveden purchased this 3,000 square foot condo in the Two Creeks subdivision in 2005. The Gevedens have made many improvements to the home, including specialty crown moldings, and the home is furnished with antiques inherited from their families.
Strong home and garden, 50 Spendthrift St. Susan and Gene Strong built this five bedroom home along the south edge of Two Creeks subdivision in 1990. Art and beautiful objects collected from travels from around the world decorate the Strong’s home. The lower level includes a spacious family room/game room with wet bar that opens onto a covered terrace and the backyard saltwater pool.
If you go
Living in History home and garden tour
When: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., June 11
Where: Throughout Frankfort
Cost: $15 for tour; $15 for salad bar luncheon from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tickets are available in advance, and on the day of the tour, at the Frankfort/Franklin County Tourism Commission office, 100 Capital Avenue (historic Gooch House), or at any of the homes on the tour.