April 22 is Earth Day. I think being frugal and being environmental friendly are complementary efforts. When you reuse an item for another purpose or buy an item at a thrift store instead of buying a brand-new one, you are saving the environment. And if we think like our grandparents by hanging our clothes outside, cooking our meals at home and eating leftovers, we’re benefitting our pocketbook and the Earth.
Never miss a local story.
• Whole Foods is offering a public screening of the film Fresh at 6:45 p.m. April 16 at 161 Lexington Green Circle (formerly the Disc Jockey space). There will be giveaways and information about environmental issues.
• To celebrate a renovated Gainesway Pond and a restored wetland, Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government and Bluegrass PRIDE will celebrate from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday at the pond. There will be activities for adults and children. Call (859) 266-1572.
• Bluegrass PRIDE is offering free waste-paint hardener to residents of its service region. To receive as many as five free bags, call 866-222-1648 or go to bgpride.org/PaintDisposal.htm
• The Loan-A-Box program, available to Fayette County residents or non-profit organizations, will deliver an empty 10 foot by 6 foot by 4 foot box that can be loaded with most types of debris. Loan-A-Box will haul it away. The cost is $38, required in advance, to cover the landfill fee. Delivery is scheduled first come, first served. Call (859) 425-2255.
• Lexington Fayette Urban County Government will have a free tire drop-off 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. May 26 to May 30 at the Old Frankfort Pike Landfill, 1631 Old Frankfort Pike. Enter and exit from Old Frankfort Pike.
• Free residential yard composters (made from old herbie carts) are available at the LFUCG Recycling Center , 360 Thompson Road . Call 425-2480.
• Recycle electronics and batteries with The Big Green Box. Find out more at biggreenbox.com.
• Bring six empty MAC cosmetics packaging containers to any MAC counter or mail them in. The company will recycle them and give you a free lipstick.maccosmetics.com/giving_back/btm_return_packaging.tmpl
• Elmer’s Glue Crew Recycling Program teaches about recycling. As a program member, you’ll have access to recycling-related projects for kids. elmersgluecrew.com
• Home Depot offers free in-store compact fluorescent light bulb recycling at all of its stores. Just place them in the plastic bag and deposit them into one of the bright orange collections units.
• Sign up for The Home Depot Do-It-Herself Workshop about interior painting. 7-8:30 p.m. , April 15.
•Sign up for The Home Depot Garden Club to receive information about landscaping and coupons. homedepotgardenclub.com/
• Bluegrass Greenworks is offering a GreenCard that will get you special offers and discounts at participating businesses. bluegrassgreenworks.org/greencard
• Receive money for your school buy mailing in certain empty drink pouches, chip bags, Colgate tubes and Aveeno lotion containers. Shipping and handling are paid for. terracycle.net
• G is for Gardening Workshop at Tates Creek Branch library from 1-5 p.m. , Saturday. This free workshop is for beginning and experienced vegetable gardeners. The meeting will cover everything from seed starting, to harvesting homegrown crops. It will also included a demonstration on how to build tomato cages and green trellises for vertical growing of climbing crops. Call (859) 231-5580 to register.
• The Lexington in Bloom Contest recognizes outstanding gardens in Fayette County . The goal of the contest is to instill a spirit of community, to increase civic pride, and to improve the visual appeal of the area. Contact Liz Pattengill at (859) 223-4362 or email email@example.com
• The National Park Service is waiving entrance fees so visitors can enjoy all 392 national parks for free April 17 – 25. nps.gov/npweek/
• Kentucky Christmas Tree Association Sixth Annual Plant Auction. 10 a.m. , April 17 in the parking lot of the Fayette County Extension Office, 1140 Red Mile Place . Call Bill and Fredda Moody for more information (859) 223-1140
• Integrative Health and Wellness Expo at the S.P. Rawlings Conference Center , 866 Georgetown St. , 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. , Sunday. Free health seminars, chair massages, fitness demonstrations and more.
• Free 8x10 print from Walgreens on Friday. walgreens.com/topic/photo/friday040910.jsp
• Join Domino Sugar and Share Our Strength’s Great American Bake Sale national campaign that hopes to end childhood hunger. Get coupons, tips and tools to promote your sale. childhungerendshere.com/Public/getinvolved.html
• Meijers is celebrating opening day of baseball with a Fan Fest Party from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. , on Saturday. Free Major League baseball schedules, Free giveaways, samplings and more.
• Family Fun Day at Lexington Catholic High School, 2250 Clays Mill Road from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., April 10. Inflatables, performances, giveaways, games and more. For more information call (859) 223-1765
• Coupon for free ice cream at Bruster’s Real Ice Cream. brusters.com/sweetrewards/april10/SR_CouponPage_Apr10_BruOnly.jpg