When you are located in a college town you have access to many free or low cost events throughout the year. Between University of Kentucky and Transylvania University the events can range from art exhibits to health seminars. What a great way to broaden your horizon for free.
Free events at UK Singletary Center for the Arts- you may need to get tickets even if event is free
· Wednesday, October 13- UK Wind Ensemble Concert starting at 7:30pm
· Thursday, October 14- UK Symphony Band Concert starting at 7:30pm
· Sunday, October 17 – Allstar Alumni Jazz Ensemble starting at 7:30pm
· Monday, October 21- Erica Rumbley Recital starting at 7:30pm
· Saturday, October 23 – Schmidt Vocal Scholarship Competition starting at 8am
· Sunday, October 24 – Middle School Band Invitational starting at 7:30pm
· Monday, October 25- UKSB Concert starting at 2pm
· Tuesday, October 26- UKCB Concert starting at 7:30pm
· Wednesday, October 27- Paula Galama DMS Lecture Recital starting at 7:30pm
· Friday, October 29 – UK Symphony Orchestra Concert starting at 7:30pm
· Confucius Institute Inaugural Ceremony and Concert, November 6 starting at 6:30pm Tony-award-nominated Kung Fu artists, and world-renowned guest violin soloist Sha from China with the UK Orchestra
· Go to UK Singletary Center for the Arts for the rest of the year calendar of free events http://www.uky.edu/SCFA/calendar.php
Tuska Center for Contemporary Art is located in the fine arts building on Rose Street, on the University of Kentucky campus. Visit their website for latest information on gallery hours. All exhibits and events are free and open to the public. http://www.uky.edu/FineArts/Art/TCCA/index.php
Special Event with Jeffry Fawcett, Ph.D. on October 21 now open to the public
· Health:Do the Simplest Things First. Discover simple health practices that are affective for each person’s unique biology. W.T. Young Library Auditorium at 12:30pm.
Register online at http://www.uky.edu/HR/WorkLife/workandfamilymonth2010.html
Free Workshop Series addresses living more sustainably. The Arboretum on Alumni is offering a series of sustainability seminars and workshops free of charge. All workshops meet at The Arboretum. Please pre-register by calling (859) 257-6955 or visit their website for more information. http://www.ca.uky.edu/arboretum/
Join Transylvania University for their special Illustrious Horse Speaker Series. All events are in the Morlan Gallery, free and open to the public.
· Middle School author Heather Henson will read Dream of Night where three lives and three storylines merge as readers get to know a former racehorse, 12 year old girl and a middle aged woman. Saturday, October 9 at 12:30.
· Author Genevieve Baird Lacer, will lecture on the famous painter Edward Troye on Monday, October 18 at 6pm in the Transylvania University Library. Lacer is the author of Edward Troye, Painter of Thoroughbred Stories. This lecture is followed by a reception at the Morlan Gallery, where Troye’s Lexington hangs as part of the Illustrious Horse exhibition. Call Bobbi Silver at (859)233-8738 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for reservations.
· Music for Fun concert at Carrick Theater, Transylvania University on October 31 starting at 3pm. http://www.transy.edu/calendar/week.htm?RWE=10/30/2010&Go=forward
· The Bakkhai, Lucille C. Little Theatre, November 4 at 7:30pm. A explosive Greek tragedy about a a stranger who liberates the dreams of all who listen to him, with earth-shatttering results. Performed as a rock opera with a live band and original music and lyrics. Tickets are $10. Call (859) 281-3621 for more information. http://calendar.kentucky.com/lexington-ky/events/show/141443645-the-bakkhai-presented-by-transylvania-university-theater
The UK Ticket Office is now offering an Olympic Sports Pass. One pass gains admission to all Olympic sporting events, all season long. Individual passes are $25, family passes (2 adults, up to 3 youth) are $40. One pass, one low price. The True Blue Club pass includes admission to baseball, softball, gymnastics, men’s soccer, women’s soccer and volleyball. http://www.ukathletics.com/tickets/tickets-olympic-sports.html
· All throughout October the International House of Pancakes will be featuring festive specials like Trick or Treat All-You-Can-Eat Buttermilk pancakes and “design your own” Scary Face Pancakes, which will be given out free to kids 12 and under on Friday, October 29 from 7am to 10pm.
· Give Frisch’s Big Boy Halloween Coupons only 8 for $1 over $22 value. Each coupon offers a choice of 6 Kid’s Mini Meals.
· Thriller Parade- Saturday, October 30 at 7:00pm starting at Robert F. Stephens, Courthouse Plaza call (859)288-2925 for more information http://www.lexingtonky.gov/index.aspx?page=1881
· Lexington Explorium welcomes all the kids on October 30 from 4pm to 6pm to come have a safe, fun time for Halloween. Join them for games, crafts, a costume contest, and candy. Cost is $5 per child and includes admission to the museum. http://explorium.com/whatsup/booseum/view?searchterm=None
· Take a Halloween walk with the animals at the Salato Wildlife Education Center on October 30 from 1pm to 5pm. Kids can walk through a hay maze, get their faces painted, or try their hand at the fishing booth. Best of all take a ghostly walk through Salato with all your favorite animals. The event is $5 per person. For more information go to their website http://fw.ky.gov/ .
· Howl-O-Ween Costume Contest for your animals at IncrediPet Store, Southland Drive or Richmond Rd. on October 30 from 1 to 2:30pm. Judging for dogs 1pm to 2pm, Cats and other animals 2pm to 2:30pm. You could win up to $100 in IncrediPet gift certificates. Call 277-9736 for more information.
· Beaumont Library Boo Bash, October 27 at 10:30am. Dress in costume for Halloween party fun. This program will be held in place of the regular Toddler Storytime. Call to (859) 231-5570 to register. http://lexpublib.org/calendar?keys=&branch=Beaumont+Branch
· Little Pumpkins Party at Eagle Creek Library on October 28 starting at 11am. Dress up in your costume. Be ready for some trick or treating, stories and singing songs. Call (859) 231-5560 to register. http://www.lexpublib.org/calendar?keys=&branch=Eagle+Creek+Branch
· After hours Halloween Bash at Northside Library on October 29 starting at 6pm. Watch horror movies, Halloween games, listen to music, and a costume contest geared for middle school and high school students. Call (859) 231-5590 to register. http://www.lexpublib.org/calendar?keys=&branch=Northside+Branch
· Scary Night at the Lexington History Museum at 215 West Main Street, October 23 starting at 6pm. There will be a haunted house, crafts, food, games, storytelling and a witch trial. Call (859) 254-0530 to register. http://www.lexingtonhistorymuseum.org/calendar/index.php
· 2nd Annual BOOfest in the Vines, benefiting Woodford Humane Society at Lover’s Leap Winery from 11am to 3pm Saturday, October 30. Families welcome. Both indoor and outdoor activities. For more information and directions, visit www.loversleapwine.com
· Like Kelley Farms in Lexington today and if they get to 1,500 likes you will receive a secret sale on facebook only. Maybe it will be a free admission to the corn maze. http://www.facebook.com/lexingtoncornmaze
· Experience the Largest Corn Maze in Kentucky at Life Center Adventure, 570 Milner Rd, Versailles on October 10 from 1pm to 5pm to celebrate UK spirit wear your blue and get $2 off admission. www.lifeadventurecenter.org
· Like Bic Permanent Marker on their facebook page and receive a $2 coupon. These are great to decorate your pumpkins. http://www.facebook.com/BICMarkit
· Woodford County Public Safety Presents “Cops for Kids Haunted House”. Old Woodford County Middle School, 101 Maple Street, Versailles. Admission cost is $5.00. All money goes to Cops for Kids program. http://copsforkidswoodfordcounty.com/
Purchase Disney’s Beauty and the Beast or Disney Toy Story 3 Blu-ray combo pack or DVD plus any three participating Campbells condensed kids soups or SpagettiOs pastas and receive $5 rebate. http://www.campbellskitchen.com/Resources/pdf/11202CSC_Disney_Kids_Rebate.pdf
Get coupons from Campbell to make the deal even sweeter. http://www.campbellskitchen.com/coupon.aspx
Get a coupon for $10 off Beauty and the Beast DVD Combo Pack. http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/batblptw-coupon?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_batblptw_10-1
When you purchase Beauty and The Beast get a free Rose Charm when you enter DVD code at Disney’s reward. http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/promotions/special-offers/charmoffer?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_charmoffer_BATBemail2
Toys R Us has the Beauty and The Beast Combo pack on sale for $22.99 each until October 9. Remember to use your $10 coupon.
Remember if you are going to see Secretariat from Disney make sure you upload a picture of your ticket stubs and receive 200 Disney Rewards points. http://www.disneymovierewards.go.com/how-it-works.htm?cmp=dmov_dmr_emc_DDSec101002
A nice tie in to the movie is visiting Claiborne Farm, Paris Kentucky the resting place of Secretariat. They do daily tours at 10am and 11am (7 days a week). Call (859) 233-4252 or email email@example.com . There is no charge but giving the tour guide a tip is appreciated.
Brides Across America is where participating bridal salons are giving away wedding gowns to qualified military brides. http://www.bridesacrossamerica.com/Home_Page.html
Become a Simple Rewards Club member and Land O’Lakes will send you there 20th Annual Special Edition Holiday Brochure http://www.landolakes.com/Offers/holidayOffers.aspx
Olan Mills Studios wants to celebrate your new arrival. Have your child portrait done for FREE. Print out coupon to receive one 8 x 10, two 5 x 7s, and 8 wallet-sized baby portraits. http://www.olanmills.com/coupons/11freecoupon.asp
Get a free 8 x 10 collage from Snapfish just enter promotional code ALLYOUFALL10 when you checkout. It will cost you 99 cents for shipping. http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/storeprints/campaignName=commissionjunction_prepayprints/retusr=true?AID=10523875&PID=3610466&source=cj
October is National Window Covering Month. The Window Covering Safety Council are offering free retro fit window blind kits to correct the defect in any roll-up or roman shades you may have. http://www.selectblinds.com/free-kit.html
Bring in an old 9 Volt Alkaline Battery from your smoke detector and Ace Hardware will replace it FREE. Offer valid during Fire Prevention Week October 3 -9. http://links.acehardwareemails.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MzU4MzgxMDES1&r=NjIzMDI3OTE5NAS2&j=ODMxNDE3NDIS1&mt=1&rt=0
Canine Olympics, Sunday October 17 at Woodford County Park - Big Red Barn. Registration starts at 12am and events start at 1pm. Bring your pooch out to the park and compete in the Hot Dog Dash, Best Trick, Best Costume or any of their fun events. Free to attend, fee per dog per event. For more