Have you seen the show on TLC called Extreme Couponing? I watched two episodes, and that was all I could take.
What bothers me most about the show is that it is staged. When was the last time you went into a store and saw 100 bottles of mustard on the shelf or more than 50 toothbrushes of one brand? You don’t.
The show has drawn a lot of attention, and I am getting more responses to my column because it. But I want to bring you back to reality. What I am trying to teach is a saving lifestyle, not a way to get 50 bottles of mustard for free.
I want you to think before you buy. With my advice, you might not be able to go to a store and get 90 percent off your shopping trip, but I can help you get 50 percent off without spending a whole lot of time.
Do you have to put time into couponing? Of course. I would love to say you don’t, but you do.
On the TV show some of the couponers spend at least 40 hours a week finding shopping deals. You don’t need to spend that much time finding bargains. This is where you need to get Extreme Couponing out of your head.
Besides, even a small savings each week can add up. For example, this week at Rite Aid you can get toothbrushes for free, laundry detergent for $1 and air fresheners for $1. At CVS you can get a brownie mix for 50 cents, lots of different shampoo and conditioners for $1.50, plus much more. I suggest you take one lunch break a week to go out and get these savings. It can save you $5 a week. I can help you learn.
If you want a little help starting your couponing journey, join me and the Fayette County Homemakers at the Lexington Public Library, Eagle Creek Branch, 101 North Eagle Creek Drive, at 6:30 p.m. May 26. I will teach about the benefits of using coupons to buy things your family really needs. Call (859) 231-5560 to register.
More about rebates
Main-in rebates are another way to save. They are offered by stores as an incentive to buy a product. You have to mail the rebate form along with your receipt and any other required paperwork. Get in a habit of sending in the rebate the same day you make the purchase.
offers many rebates every month on a range of products. Sometimes these products are even on sale, giving you an added bonus.
offers new rebates every month.
• Receive up to $6 when you buy anyActivia
• Get a free case ofValvoline VR1 Racing Synthetic Motor Oil
after mail-in rebate (up to $50).
Other money saving offers
• Buy up to threeTyson Chicken Nuggets
and/or Tyson Crispy Chicken Strips and receive a free Kodak photo book, free fun pass or a free salon treatment.
• Get a freeFlorida Citrus Cookbook
when you buy Florida oranges, tangerines or grapefruit.
• Buy a 3-pound or larger bag of Florida grapefruit and get afree grapefruit spoon
• Get $5 back when you buy aProject Popperz Accessory
and Elmer’s Tri-Fold Display Board.
• Buy a 5-quart bottle ofG-Oil W-30 Bio-Based Full Synthetic
“green” motor oil from Green Earth Technologies and get a rebate for the full purchase price (up to $26).
• Get $3 back with any purchase ofInvisible Glass
• Get a Challenge Workout DVD when you collect five stamps from Kellogg’s Special K products
• Get a $3 rebate when you buy aFiltrete High Performance Filter
• Receive a free tote bag with any two purchases ofScotch Brite Greener Clean
products. You’ll also receive a $1 coupon.
• Buy a qualifying products from Rite Aid to receive a free purse hook fromReal Simple
• Get a rebate of up to $24 when you buy Thompson Deck and House Water Sealer product.
• Get afree Pringles
can speaker by mail when you buy four Super Stack cans.
• Buy anyFinesse
hair care product and get $2 back by mail.
• Buy a newAmeriGas
propane cylinder and receive a $5 rebate. Receive $4 back when you exchange an AmeriGas tank.
• Buy a newBlue Rhino
propane tank or exchange one to receive $3 back by mail.
• Buy anyBayer Advanced
lawn product and receive a $3 rebate.
• Buy a 3.5-, 4- or 6-pound bag ofBy Nature natural
pet food and get it for free (up to $12.99) after mail-in rebate.
• Buy a pair of Dickies shorts
and receive a $5 rebate by mail.
• Text Deals to 727272 every day through May 25 for a new discount code to use at any Redbox kiosk.