After being accused in 1963 of molesting seven boys, a Lexington scoutmaster was stripped of his affiliation with the Boy Scouts of America and told to move out of town within 90 days.
"Every effort is being made to keep this quiet," Lexington Scout executive Donald F. King wrote in a letter to the Boy Scouts' National Council in New Jersey on Jan. 17, 1963.
However, if the then-35-year-old scoutmaster of Troop 14 refused to leave town, "the parents are prepared to prosecute," the letter said.
The letter was part of the organization's "confidential files" released by Portland, Ore.-based attorneys Thursday. The files blacklisted more than 1,200 Boy Scout leaders who were accused of inappropriate contact with children from the 1960s through the 1980s.
Never miss a local story.
The list contained 11 other cases in Kentucky, six of which occurred in Louisville in the 1960s and 70s. Two cases were reported in Ashland, and one each in Madisonville, Newport and Bellevue.
The packet of documents detailing the allegations against the Lexington scoutmaster contained three pages: a personnel form and two letters indicating that the scoutmaster was forbidden from seeking another position with the Boy Scouts of America.
The Herald-Leader was unable to independently verify Thursday whether criminal charges were ever filed against the scout leader. The documents from the confidential files did not indicate one way or the other.
The documents gave few details about the alleged abuse, only that it involved seven boys and occurred over the course of two or three years. The scoutmaster admitted the allegations to King, a minister and three doctors whose sons were among the alleged victims, according to the documents.
He told King he would not register for another position with the organization. "He wanted to get away before he caused shame to scouting," the personnel file said.
The scoutmaster was an Eagle Scout who had been a registered scoutmaster for 16 years before the allegations surfaced, according to the documents. Records online showed he died in 1991.
Dan Koett, a spokesman for the Boy Scouts of America Bluegrass Council, deferred comment on specific allegations to the Boy Scouts of America national headquarters. "The safety and well-being of the youth that we serve is our number one priority," he said.
While the records released Thursday detail allegations against 12 Kentucky scout leaders, a separate database maintained by the Los Angeles Times includes 35 entries about scout leaders suspected of sexual abuse who were somehow connected to a Kentucky troop.
The Los Angeles Times database includes reports filed from 1947 to 2005, a longer span than the records released Thursday.
The database indicates there have been allegations made in a handful of Central Kentucky towns, including Richmond, Wilmore and Frankfort. It also lists incidents involving Lexington troops in 1992 and 2000.