■ In June, Henry Clay sophomore Micayla Tatum participated in the EnVision program, a five-day, selective photojournalism program at Western Kentucky University. Micayla was the youngest participant this year.
■ University of Kentucky art alumna Laura Marie O'Neal Segre-Lewis is the recipient of one of the first four Emerging Artist Awards, presented in conjunction with the Kentucky Arts Council's Al Smith Individual Artist Fellowship awards. The new category, which carries a monetary award of $1,000, recognizes artistic excellence for new and emerging artists. Segre-Lewis, of Wilmore, holds a bachelor's degree in fine art from Asbury College and earned her master's degree in painting from UK.
■ David Hawpe, who retired from the Louisville Courier-Journal in August after a 40-year journalism career, received the fourth annual James Madison Award for Service to the First Amendment from the Scripps Howard First Amendment Center at the University of Kentucky on Sept. 15. Hawpe has a long record of fighting to open government records and meetings so the public can monitor the activities of public officials.
Never miss a local story.
■ Two Eastern Kentucky University faculty members are the co-editors of Journeys Home, an anthology of poems and personal narratives that depict the contemporary African diasporic experience.
Published by Africa World Press, the volume is co-edited by Salome Nnoromele, a native of Nigeria, professor of English and director of African/African-American Studies, and Lisa Day-Lindsey, an assistant professor of English.
Nnoromele also is the author of Life among the Ibo Women of Southeastern Nigeria.
■ There will be a memorial service at 1:30 p.m., Oct. 11 for Sister Mary Cletus Hehman, co-founder of Providence Montessori School, who died earlier this year. The service will be held at the school, 1209 Texaco Road. A reception will follow. A celebration of her life is open to family, friends, past and present students, students' parents and the public.
■ The University of Kentucky has realized gains in the quality and diversity of the entering freshman class for the 2009-10 school year while again setting the record for applications for admission.
According to preliminary figures, UK's 2009-2010 freshman class is 4,145, an increase from last year's figure of 4,110. The preliminary undergraduate enrollment increased to 19,220 (from 18,988 a year ago), and overall enrollment is now 27,102 (from 26,913 in 2008-09).
The incoming freshman class had an average ACT score of 24.7, compared to 24.4 last year, including a record 375 incoming students with ACT composite scores of 31 to 36, up from 292 in that range a year ago. The ACT composite score median range also increased to 22 to 28, up from a range of 22 to 27 a year ago.
The number of Governor's Scholars and Governor's School for the Arts Scholars set another all-time high for 2009-10 with 404, an increase from last year's total of 389. There are 31 National Merit Scholars in the incoming freshman class, 27 Singletary Scholars, and one National Achievement Scholar. The average grade-point average of incoming freshmen remained consistent at 3.52, the same as the 2008-09 freshman class.
UK's minority enrollment included an all-time high of 404 African-American students enrolled for the 2009-10 freshman class. That's a 17 percent increase over last year's total of 347. The overall African-American enrollment of 1,774 is a 9 percent increase from last year's total of 1,627. Hispanic freshman student enrollment increased by 26 percent, from 62 to 78, and international freshmen student enrollment is up by 38 percent (from 32 to 44).
■ The University of Kentucky Alumni Association's Cats for a Cause National Service Week is set for Oct. 2-11. Cats for a Cause is a week each fall during which UK Alumni Clubs across the country organize and participate in service activities in their local communities. This year, more than 30 UK Alumni Clubs will participate in a variety of community-oriented activities, including canned food drives and clothing drives, collecting items to send to local soldiers serving overseas, and preparing and serving meals to the needy. For a complete list of participating UK Alumni Clubs, go to www.ukalumni.net/service.