Kentucky first lady Jane Beshear has announced her Top 10 Winter Reads as part of the First Lady's Reading Recommendations initiative. "Winter's dreary weather provides a perfect opportunity for children to discover new adventures through reading," said Beshear, a longtime educator. Here are her top 10:
1. The Snow Day by Komako Sakai and The Snowy Day by Ezra Jack Keats (ages 0-5).
2. The Squirrel's Birthday and Other Parties by Toon Tellegen (ages 5-9).
3. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard (ages 15-18).
Never miss a local story.
4. The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes (ages 8-12).
5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (ages 15-18).
7. A Foot in the Mouth: Poems to Speak, Sing and Shout (ages 8-12).
8. The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf (ages 0-5).
9. When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead (ages 10-15).
10. The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (all ages).