Fireworks have been prohibited in some Central Kentucky counties because of the dry weather. If you are still able to use them where you live, here are some safety tips:
■ Before you begin, make sure you have: A bucket of water or hose nearby for cooling off spent sparklers, fully extinguishing fireworks, and in case of fire; a clear, flat area away from houses, spectators, leaves and flammable materials; closed-toed shoes and safety glasses for the person igniting the fireworks.
■ Light one firework or sparkler at a time.
■ Only use fireworks and sparklers outdoors.
Never miss a local story.
■ Adults should always be present when lighting or handling fireworks or sparklers.
■ Never hold a lit firework in your hand.
■ Never try to relight fireworks or sparklers that do not ignite. Wait 15 to 20 minutes before approaching them, then soak them with water and throw them away.
■ Animals are often frightened by the sounds of fireworks. Protect them by keeping them indoors, secure and away from the loud, sudden noises.