A gas leak closed a few businesses and a road in downtown Lexington Tuesday.
Old Vine Street from Grand Boulevard to Ransom Avenue was shut down and about three nearby businesses were evacuated about 12:50 p.m. after a gas leak was discovered, according to the Lexington fire department.
The leak reportedly occurred under the street in front of the Weekly Juicery and was initially discovered by Columbia Gas. The leak was coming up through the sidewalk and “the concentrations under the ground were quite high,” said Lexington Fire Department Major Matt Galati.
Columbia Gas began work at the scene around 1:15 p.m.