A dog died after a fire at a home on West Maxwell Street Saturday evening.
Lexington Fire Department Major Chris Burke said some residents of the home at 726 West Maxwell grilled out on the back deck Saturday afternoon before going to the University of Kentucky football game.
Later, a smoldering coal caught the wooden deck and the back of the house on fire, he said.
Burke said the home is subdivided into several apartments, but no one was there at the time. A brick wall inside the house kept the fire contained to one room, he said. Burke said soon after the fire that it was still unclear whether the residents would be able to immediately occupy the house.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters were called to the home at 5:16 p.m.
Burke said one dog escaped without injury. Firefighters were unsuccessful in their attempts to resuscitate another dog, he said.
Maxwell Street was shut down at Madison Place for a few hours while firefighters worked at the scene.