A man was rescued by the Lexington Fire Department on Wednesday when a utility pole he was working on snapped, suspending him about 30 feet in the air.
Lineman Austin Rowe was installing fiber optic wire when the pole snapped along Old Richmond Road just south of Athens Walnut Hill Road, Lexington fire Maj. Trevor Cox said. The pole was carrying live electrical wires that caused several small grass fires.
Firefighters had to wait for Kentucky Utilities workers to cut the power before they could get to Rowe. Once the power was shut off, Rowe was rescued without injury.