An early-morning fire damaged an apartment building, displaced several University of Kentucky students and halted traffic Tuesday, firefighters said.
Nobody was injured.
The fire damaged a three-story building at South Limestone and Conn Terrace that is home to six people, including four UK students, Lexington fire department Battalion Chief Marshall Griggs said. The fire, probably caused by smoldering trash, was reported at 5:36 a.m.
Griggs said the occupants were leaving the rear of the building when firefighters arrived.
Never miss a local story.
Several of the occupants are working with the fire department's Community Services Division to find other places to stay, Griggs said.
The fire destroyed an enclosed deck and caused smoke and fire damage inside the building, Griggs said.
"Not all the damage is significant, but it's enough that they can't stay in the apartments for now," he said.
Griggs said the fire was apparently caused by "discarded smoking materials in a trash can outside."