The Lil' Lambs Closet children's consignment sale has surpassed the $1 million mark for donations to Christian charities that benefit women and children.
The sale, which wrapped up Saturday, started in 1993 and is held each March and August at Centenary United Methodist Church.
Virginia Fairchild, spokeswoman for the event, said gross sales from Lil' Lambs Closet are usually about $135,000 to $155,000 from each event.
Sellers receive 70 percent of the proceeds; after bills are paid, whatever is left of the remaining 30 percent goes to charity, Fairchild said.
Never miss a local story.
She said the consignment sale has built wells in Africa, bought uniforms for schoolchildren in India, supported local organizations that help teen moms and contributed to a number of other missions.
Customers can also make a $1 donation to a particular project, which is chosen before each sale. Fairchild said this fall's project is buying school supplies for children in Joplin, Mo.
This sale had 250 sellers and more than 45,000 items, she said.