Security screenings were stepped up in Rupp Arena for the University of Kentucky’s basketball game against Eastern Kentucky University on Wednesday, and the tighter security measures will last for the remainder of the 2015-16 season.
Handheld metal detectors will be used; those targeted include ticketholders with bulky clothing. Fans will be asked to remove outerwear during the security screening. .
UK and Rupp Arena security also will check bags more thoroughly.
UK Police Chief Joe Monroe said wanding would add about 3 seconds to some people’s screening times. Monroe said the new security measures have been in the works for the last 12 to 14 months.
These items can’t be taken into Rupp:
- All illegal substances (tobacco products and electronic cigarettes are permitted in the designated smoking area outside of the arena)
- Artificial noisemakers and irritants
- Beach balls
- Cameras with detachable lenses
- Glass and aluminum containers
- Helium balloons
- Laser pointers/pens
- Outside food and beverages
- Selfie sticks
- Signs larger than 24 inches by 24 inches
- Video or audio recorders
Game time: UK v. EKU Wednesday 7:00 p.m. at Rupp Arena