▪ Chaplain (Lt. Col.) V. P. “Brett” Travis Jr. is the most recent inductee into the UK Army ROTC Wall of Fame.
Travis was born in Ohio and attended Wheelersburg High School, after which he enlisted directly into the Air Force in 1971. He served until the close of the Vietnam War. He enrolled into the University of Kentucky ROTC program in 1975 while also assigned to the Kentucky Army National Guard. Travis served as cadet sergeant major, was a member of Pershing Rifles, and graduated in the top 5 percent of his ROTC class. Upon graduating in 1977, he was commissioned a second lieutenant and branch appointed into Medical Service Corps. After serving 12 years in the Kentucky Army National Guard as a Medical Service Corps officer, he felt the call to be an Army chaplain. Travis received a direct appointment into the Army Chaplain Corps in January of 1989. He served 22 years until retiring as a lieutenant colonel in 2008.
That same year, Travis asked for his retirement assignment as a hospital chaplain working with the Wounded Warrior Project. He also was asked to develop the military spiritual reintegration component for soldiers returning from combat in the Middle East.
Never miss a local story.
Among the many awards Travis received, his highest military honor was the Legion of Merit, awarded in May 2008; Defense Meritorious Service Medal; Meritorious Service Medal (3-OLC); National Defense Service Ribbon (2 Bronze Stars); Global War on Terrorism Service Medal; Southwest Asia Medal (1-Bronze Star); Global War on Terrorism (Expeditionary Medal; Army Reserve Component Achievement Medal (1-Hourglass); and the Distinguished Order of St. Barbara Award while assigned as the 25th Infantry Division Artillery Command chaplain, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii.
Travis and his wife, Pam, live in Knoxville.
The following have completed basic infantry training at Fort Jackson, S.C.:
▪ Army National Guard Pfc. Courtney P. Whitehouse is the daughter of Darren L. Whitehouse and granddaughter of Karla P. Kirk, both of Lexington. She is a 2015 graduate of Lafayette High School.
▪ Army National Guard Pvt. Christopher L. Adair is the son of David L. Cannon of Stamping Ground. He is a 2015 graduate of Anderson County High School, Lawrenceburg.
▪ Army National Guard Pvt. Nathan M. Iglehart is a 2015 graduate of Woodford County High School, Versailles.
▪ Army Pvt. Kyle T. Richter is the son of Todd Richter of Winchester and Tina Kelly of Jacksonville, Fla., and the stepson of Anthony Kelly of Jacksonville. He is a 2015 graduate of Sandalwood High School, Jacksonville.