A man suffered serious injuries in a Saturday-morning apartment fire on Lima Drive in Lexington, Battalion Chief Mark Harvey said.
The man, who was taken to a local hospital, had dropped a cigarette on his couch in a second-floor apartment. The resulting fire spread to a wall behind the couch, Harvey said.
Another man also on the second floor had to be rescued by putting a ladder to a window, Harvey said. There was too much smoke in the hallway for that man to get out of the building by taking the stairs.
Never miss a local story.
There was some water damage to the apartment below the one where the fire started, Harvey said.
The fire was reported at about 8:30 a.m. Saturday. Harvey said 26 firefighters responded.